Bengal’s Malda district, known for its mangoes, grows oranges in a first

A farmer in West Bengal’s Malda district, which is known for its mangoes, has set a record this year by growing oranges.Dipak Rajbanshi has grown around 1.5 quintal of orange in his garden. He claimed that the oranges that he grew were tastier than the ones grown in Maharashtra’s Nagpur.He said these oranges are smaller […]

Tea production rises 12.06% to 182.84 million kg in October: Industry body

Tea production in the country increased by 12.06 per cent to 182.84 million kg in October this year as compared to 163.15 million kg in the corresponding month last year.According to Tea Board data, production of the crop in West Bengal rose to 54.98 million kg in October, as against 49.75 million kg in the […]

India’s Top 10 Coffee-Producing States

Do you know that India is home to over 250,000 coffee farmers? 98% of them are small coffee bean growers with few resources but huge potential. In India, coffee is grown for export about 80% of the time, with the remaining 20% being consumed locally. So here is a list of the states in India […]

How women can be given ‘farmer’ status in Indian agricultural eco-system

The last century saw advancement of an intensive agriculture production system, stimulated by consumption-driven economics that has led to deep social and ecological consequences. The major river basins of northern and western India emerged as role models to take shape over the decades. The success in agriculture triggered a deterministic transformation of a fairly diverse […]

Punjab CM Mann hikes sugarcane price by Rs 11 per quintal to Rs 391

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Friday announced a hike of Rs 11 per quintal in sugarcane price, saying the new rate of Rs 391 a quintal is the highest in the country.However, farmers said the appreciation in cane price is “too meagre” and termed the state government’s move as “betrayal”. The price hike came […]

Fertilizer subsidy crossed 70% of Budget allocation in 7 months of FY24

The government’s fertilizer subsidy bill may exceed ₹2-lakh crore in current fiscal as it has crossed 70 per cent of the Budget allocation of ₹1.75-lakh crore in the last seven months. But with rising subsidy level, the retail prices of non-urea fertilizers are likely to remain stable as the government has assured to take the […]

Rains hit natural rubber production in Kerala

Continuing rains in Kerala have hit natural rubber production, which fell 5-10 per cent during the September-November period compared to a year ago. However, the farming community hopes to restore production over the next four months beginning December with the aid of conducive weather and moderate rains in the production centres. George Valy, president of […]

Coca Cola India in tie-up with Luxmi Group’s Makaibari for iced green tea

In 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented Queen Elizabeth with an award-winning variety from the Makaibari tea estate on his visit to the United Kingdom. It’s the preferred tea of Satyajit Ray’s fictional private investigator, Feluda. Now, Coca Cola India has tied up with the iconic Darjeeling tea estate to launch a ready-to-drink iced green […]

India developing sea protocols for fresh produce to boost ocean exports

india is developing sea protocols for various fresh fruits and vegetables like bananas, mangoes, pomegranates and jackfruit to promote their exports through ocean routes, a senior government official said on Tuesday.  At present, most of these exports are happening by air route because of lower volumes and different ripening periods.   The protocol includes understanding voyage time, […]

IISR develops high-yielding black pepper variety ‘Chandra’

The ICAR-Indian Institute of Spices Research (ICAR-IISR), Kozhikode, has developed a high-yielding variety of black pepper named ‘IISR Chandra’. The institute has also completed the genome sequencing of the variety. The research team behind the variety includes Shivakumar MS, B Sasikumar, KV Saji, Sheeja TE, KS Krishnamurthy, and Sivaranjani. Conventionally, new pepper varieties are created […]